Our eyes are one of the most significant parts of our bodies. Without them, we are significantly handicapped. Normal vision plays a significant role in our daily lives that we need to take care of our eyes religiously. Eye care should be our top priority if we want to live a productive lifestyle. However, many factors can diminish our eyesight, especially as we age. Aside from aging, certain eye conditions like dry eyes or cataracts can affect our normal vision too. Changing seasons also play a vital role. Cold weather might make dry eyes worse, and if left untreated, it could develop into a more serious eye problem.
Tips on Eye Health
Despite all the possibilities of developing adverse eye conditions, there are still many ways to keep our eyes on top condition. We can achieve the perfect eyesight with healthy eating habits, exercises, and regular visit to ophthalmologists. In this article, we will talk about eye care tips that can help you with maintaining a keen vision. Most of the things that we suggested can be done at home, so, without further introduction, here are the best eye care tips for you:
- Healthy Eating Habits: Nutrition is a valuable key player in keeping our eyesight sharp. By eating the right food, you can improve your vision dramatically. We recommend eating fruits and vegetables. The yellow and green leafy vegetables are incredibly potent. Fish like tuna, halibut, and salmon all contain high levels of omega-3, which is healthy for the eyes. They’re good for the heart too.
- Manage Your Weight: Weight control is one of the most effective ways to prevent diabetes. A specific type of diabetes called diabetic retinopathy or diabetic glaucoma can affect your eyes in the wrong way. What’s worse is that it has the potential to make you go blind.
- Exercise: Regular exercise prevents health conditions that may cause or trigger poor eyesight. Chronic diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high levels of bad cholesterol can affect your vision negatively. With regular exercise, you can reduce developing these adverse health conditions.
- Wear UV-Protection Eyewear: Ultraviolet radiation exposure increases the risks of developing cataracts and other age-related degenerative macular conditions. By wearing sunglasses, you can protect your eyes with 99 to 100% efficiency.
- Use Protective Eyewear: Eye injuries from work or sports can be mild or severe. The bottom part is getting adequate eye protection whenever you’re engaged in such activities. Try to look for designs that are similar to goggles for maximum protection.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking affects the optical nerves and may accelerate the macular degeneration as you age. It also lessens the efficiency of nutrition intake and reduces the effectivity of eye treatment. You can also prevent other diseases that smoking can trigger.
- Learn Your Family Medical Background: Eye diseases might be inherited in some cases. By learning your family background, you will have an idea if you are susceptible to inheriting an eye disease. With this knowledge, you can take preventive measures to keep your eyesight healthy.
- Learn the Proper Contact Lens Care: If you prefer contact lenses over eyeglasses, you must learn how to handle and use them properly. You should always wash your hands thoroughly before touching the contact lenses, and you should always keep them in a dry and clean place. Avoid wearing them when you sleep and replace them if necessary.
- Wear the Right Eyeglasses: Always wear the right eyeglasses according to your refraction test. Wearing an incompatible pair of eyeglasses may cause dizziness or a blurry vision. It can also cause mild to severe headaches. By wearing the right eyeglasses, you can treat astigmatism, myopia, or presbyopia.
- Rest Your Eyes: Your eyes need rest to keep them moist and healthy. If you’re looking at a computer screen or reading a book, make sure to stop and blink normally for around twenty seconds. You can also look away from what you’re doing and relax a bit. This method reduces eyestrain effectively.
- Visit Your Ophthalmologist Regularly: Regular visits to your doctor keep your eyes in good shape. They are the best experts to check the status of your vision. They can prevent possible eye diseases with early detection, and they can provide the best treatment for existing eye conditions.
Our eyesight diminishes as we age and that is the fact that we should wholeheartedly accept. Naturally, our vision gets blurry even without eye diseases as we grow older. What we can do to cope with this condition is to take care of our eyes diligently. Our body will benefit from a healthy lifestyle in more ways than one. If you take a closer look at the tips we provided, you will notice that your overall health and wellbeing can also gain from them. For example, when you quit smoking, not only does it keep your eyes healthy, it also reduces the risks of developing teeth and gum diseases. It also improves your cardio and respiratory system.
So, if you want that 20/20 vision, start taking care of your eyes today.